According to the Anxiety and Depression Society of America, an estimated 85 percent of college students have reported feeling overwhelmed by something they have had to do in the past year. Stress can have two effects. Either it can break someone down mentally, sometimes physically, or it can wake someone up to perform better.
A little stress is beneficial; a lot of stress is not.
So how does one relieve stress, particularly while being a college student? Most campus’s counseling centres have walk-in appointments where anyone can come in and talk to someone. You may think counseling isn’t for you, but don’t think of it that way. Think of it as a place to get everything off your chest.
Sometimes people need counseling, and that is totally normal. Most counseling centres even have tables with colouring sheets where people can colour pictures like they used to do in elementary school, before adult obligations and responsibilities consumed them.
If you are still skeptical about seeking counseling, consider these tips:
- Do meditation. Sit on the floor and recite a positive mantra like, “I love myself,” over and over. Close your eyes and breathe deeply while reciting the mantra.
- Reach out to friends. Let everything out on them. Friends and family are great for you to talk to and garner advice from. They are there to support you mentally, spiritually and emotionally.
- Tune in to your body. Lie on the floor on your back and breathe deeply. Mentally scan the entire body. Let every part of your body relax and go free. My improv teacher did this with me and our class and it really changed my outlook on my day.
- Watch a funny Youtube video, movie or TV show. Laughter is really effective for releasing stress
- Play that funky music! Seriously, listening to music you like can relieve stress also.
- Exercise. Even lifting weights have been beneficial in relieving stress. Exercise releases cortisol, which aids in relieving stress.
- Journal your thoughts, frustrations and worries. Great men across history such as Thoreau journaled. It’s a great way to deal with your problems head on.
With these tips, you can be less stressed out and more peaceful as a person.